RaceSense Temperature Probes
Not all probes are equal. We have developed fast response, adjustable accurate temperature probes (pyrometer) to go with RaceSense. Our probes are low thermal mass which won’t act as a heat sink to skew your readings (unlike some probes).
(The straight probe is bundled with the RaceSense gauge, and is optional on the RaceSense Pocket Gauge. If you prefer the right-angled design to be included with the gauge please order the Pocket Gauge without the probe and then order the right angled probe as a separate item. The Right Angled Temperature Prove is compatible with both model RaceSense Gauges.)
Our right angled adjustable accurate temperature probe (pyrometer) makes it easier to take temperature readings on closed wheel vehicles. CNC Machined aluminum body. Comes with hard carry case
- Quick response: We’ve paid special attention to ensuring the thermocouple is as quick response as possible. We tested many probes from different brands and found a huge variation in response times (and accuracy). After insertion it typically takes 2 seconds for the probe to reach 90% of the final temperature, 3 seconds for 95% and 4 seconds + for the temperature response to level out. The gauge even shows Up or Down arrows if the temperature is changing. These will disappear when stable.
- Adjustable depth: There is a screw adjuster and locking nut so that the tire can be probed at a consistent depth. It’s important for the depth to be consistent as tire temperatures will vary considerably with depth. A depth of between 3 and 5mm is recommended. The probe can be adjusted up to 15mm which will puncture most tires. To avoid punctures the needle should obviously not be inserted too deep and the probe should be inserted into the tire blocks only and not the grooves/voids or sides. Take care with very worn tires.
- Low thermal mass: Some probes can act as a heat sink and actually affect the recorded temperatures. Our adjustable probe ends are made from a low thermal mass engineering material to avoid this.
- It’s important to insert the probe tip perpendicular to the tire. If inserted at an angle this can cause damage or breakage to the probe tip. Accidental tip damage is not covered by the guarantee.
- Avoid heat sources: Temperature accuracy will be affected if e.g. the gauge or probe are heated (or cooled). So, do not leave the gauge and probe near sources of heat or where large thermal gradients may be expected e.g. in direct sunlight, on top of engine, near heaters or fans etc.
- Car setup, tire pressures, track conditions and driving style will all affect the bulk tire temperatures.
- It does not make sense to compare readings from different car or tire types or different probe depths.
Price Range: $ 75.00 - $ 135.00
Items Included as selected