3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid is a clean agent fire extinguishant which was developed as a halon replacement and hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) alternative. It belongs to a family of chemicals called halocarbons, a group which includes HFCs and fluoroketones. 3M Novec 1230 fluid is a fluoroketone, while chemical clean agents like FM-200™ are HFCs (HFC-227ea). 3M Novec 1230 fluid has a global warming potential (GWP) of less than one while HFCs typically have a GWP of more than 3000. 3M Novec 1230 fluid has the highest margin of safety for human occupancy among clean agents, including inert gas.
- Extinguishes a fire in seconds, before it even starts and long before water-based systems or inert systems discharge.
- Helps protect valuable assets including electronics, irreplaceable paper documents, artefacts and archives. Because Novec 1230 fluid is a waterless fire suppression solution, it leaves no residue and is electrically non-conductive.
- Provides the highest margin of safety for human occupancy of any clean agent solution.
- Is not subject to the HFC phasedown under the F-Gas Regulation in Europe or any global regulatory body, including the Montreal Protocol.
- Comes with a global environmental warranty — the 3M™ Blue Sky℠ Warranty, designed to provide additional peace of mind.
- Is stored as a liquid and discharged as a gas, taking up approximately 80% less floor space compared to inert gas systems.
- Is appropriate for Class A, B and C fire hazards.